Saturday, 16 January 2016

HOW TO SURVIVE MORNING SICKNESS


Hi guys, I hope you're all well. As you may know if you follow my blog, I am pregnant and will be blogging about my pregnancy experience before doing Mummy posts once little one is here. Morning sickness is an unfortunate side effect for a lot of pregnancies and, in some cases, it can be extreme and really disrupt your routine; not to put you off pregnancy or anything, ha! I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum which is just a fancy way of saying severe morning sickness and while I'm not suffering not as much now (mostly thanks to anti-sickness tablets I was given), I thought I'd share with you my tips and tricks on how to survive morning sickness.

To give you a bit of information, doctors aren't 100% sure what exactly causes morning sickness but they have an inkling that, in the first 12 weeks (which is when most people will experience morning sickness) it is linked to all the hormonal changes that are going on while your body adjusts to growing a human. Morning sickness generally eases or goes away completely by the time you're 20 weeks pregnant but one in 10 women (myself being one!) continue to feel/be sick after that. Plus, don't be mislead by the name 'morning sickness' it can happen any time of the day or night; you've been warned...

Tip #1 Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated is a big concern when it comes to pregnancy as a whole. Your body needs as much hydration as possible to be able to keep up with the extra work your body is doing (but you don't need to eat anything more)! You're best taking little sips rather than chugging water can help keep your sickness at bay or at least keep you from vomiting as often. You'll know if you're dehydrated if your pee is very dark in colour or you're finding it difficult to pee at all (sorry, TMI) and if it is, call your GP or midwife as they will want to check your pee for keytones, which are indicators of dehydation, and if they are concerned, they will get fluid into you via I.V and no one wants that! I drank a lot of Lucozade Sport during my worst days as it has extra stuff in it to ensure you're getting the most out of it and I would drink this alongside water and it really made a difference.

Tip #2 Get as Much Sleep as Possible
Everyone tells you to get as much sleep as possible before baby is born but if you're vomiting a lot, it's even more important as being tired can actually make your nausea worse. It is obviously difficult to take naps if you've got other little ones to look after or if you're still able to make it into work but always try and make time for even a short nap if you feel you're tired; it'll make a big difference to how you're feeling!

Tip #3 Try Some Home Remedies
There are lots of home remedies out there that are said to help nausea and your friends and family will spout endless advice of what they think will help. Keep in mind, you may not be able to try certain home remedies while pregnant, so always double check if you're unsure and what may work for someone else may not always work for you, so don't be disappointed! Ginger is one that a lot of people will recommend and, while it didn't work for me, it may work for you. Ginger is safe to use for 'normal' nausea and pregnancy sickness; if you're not keen on ginger, you can always try some ginger biscuits or ginger 'beer' as well.

Tip #4 Eat (What You Can) Little & Often
On my really bad days, I didn't even feel hungry but when I did, I always wanted bad food: crisps, chocolate, that sort of thing. I was so surprised when I mentioned this to my midwife and she actually told me to go ahead and eat them! She said it was better for me to eat that than to eat nothing at all. Now I am able to eat proper meals more regularly and I'm not relying on certain foods to get me through the day. Don't pile lots of food into you in one go, as tempting as it might be if you're feeling better, as this can irritate your tummy and send you back to square one. Feeling hungry can make your nausea worse, so make sure you have little snacks with you everywhere you go so you have something to keep you going.

Tip #5 Stay Comfy
As tempting as it may be to keep wearing certain clothes, this can make you feel worse especially if what you're wearing has a tight waistband. Your tummy is under a lot of pressure as there is less room and adding extra pressure is only going to make things worse. Try and choose wearing looser fitting tops/dresses or wear something with an elasticated waist so you're not pushing on your tummy. I was basically in my PJs for the first 14 or so weeks of my pregnancy because it was the only thing I could be comfy in and that's totally fine!

Tip #6 Remember You Won't Always Feel Like This!
It can be hard to think of the bigger picture when you and your toilet are hanging out for hours at a time but keep in mind, your sickness will go away eventually. A lot of women who experience morning sickness say they feel fine by 12 weeks and the majority feel better by 20 weeks. Yes, there are a few of us who will be vomiting for the entire pregnancy but remember it's all worth it... You'll forget all about it once you have your little munchkin in your arms!

Have you any tips for surviving morning sickness?

You can read the rest of my pregnancy series to see how I've been feeling throughout and what I'm looking forward too.

Thanks for reading,

Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment